2016 Labor Day Weekend, Sep. 3 – 5
(in lieu of Chicken Ship Regatta)
Labor Day 2016 will see the first running of the Master Mariners’ Race/Cruise to the Vallejo Yacht Club! As guests of the club, it should be a fun-filled, down-wind, 20 mile race to Vallejo. Schooners, dust off your Gollywobblers and unbag those Fishermen. Ketches and Yawls, get out those big Genoa jibs and mizzen staysails! Gaffers, this is your chance to show those triangular guys and gals that you are indeed faster down-wind! (Gaff tops’ls optional.)
The Vallejo Yacht Club has graciously invited us to spend Labor Day weekend at their club. Mark your calendars for this one!!! The club will allow us to stay the 3rd, 4th and depart on the 5th. Their Bar-b-que will be available for our use so bring food to cook and share Saturday and Sunday evenings. They are presenting, for our enjoyment, an Irish Band which will play Saturday evening. This replaces the Luau which had to be postponed. This 5-star club knows how to accommodate large numbers of vessels and was recently dredged. Unlike Petaluma, everyone should stay afloat. Sunday morning coffee and rolls will be available.
On Sunday for lunch, our first “Captain Cook Memorial Spam-a-thon Cook-off” will occur. If you wish to compete, bring a can of Spam and do your best dish. Judging will be by the competitors themselves. There will be a contest of nautical skills so practice your knot- tying and line- tossing.
SAT. SEPT. 3RD – RACE/CRUISE INSTRUCTIONS
- Saturday, Sept.3rd. 1000 Start the race/cruise (your choice) abeam the East side of Southampton Shoal. The start line will be between the anchored committee boat and a round orange buoy. All vessels start at once.
- Race/Cruise course is on the East side of the main shipping lanes (Contra Costa County side). It is important to not enter or cross the Pinole Shoal Shipping Channel.
- The finish is at the entrance to Mare Island Strait. Take your own finish time when between marker 3 and 4. Note; from abeam the Rodeo Oil Wharf, Mare Island Strait can be sighted just West of a large white building with several tall silos. The Vallejo Yacht Club is just past the commercial ferry terminal and before the City Marina. The attractive club house is plainly visible on the starboard side of the Strait.
- Communications will be maintained on Channel 68. Vessels that are in the Delta or berthed elsewhere up river can come directly to Vallejo.
- DNF time for the racers will be 1600
- Cruisers try to arrive before 1700
Let’s make this a good turn-out! We hope to see you in Vallejo.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS, PLEASE!
Mike Proudfoot, “FARIDA”, 2016 Vallejo Race/Cruise Planner
485 Mare Island Way
Vallejo, CA 94590